Friday, July 12, 2013

Bringing beauty back!

Last Sunday was a beautiful day. The new "Unchained" series through the Apostle Paul's epistles is going to be amazing! And how sweet to worship with church family!!!
 
Bless the Lord, O my soul, O my soul, Worship His holy name
Sing like never before, O my soul, I'll worship Your holy name

 
We had our final NYC team meeting after church. Jerry McCorkle led us through the story training. He definitely brought us back to the beauty of the story we will be sharing on the streets and in the parks of New York.
"At some point you need to tell the Christian story in a way that addresses what people most want for their own lives, what they are trying to find outside of Christianity, and show how Christianity can give it to them. There is a way of telling the gospel that makes people say, "I don't believe it's true, but I wish it were." You have to get to the beauty of it, and then go back to the reasons for it. Tell the story in such a way that makes their mouth water... that makes them wish it were true. Get back to the beauty of the gospel." (Timothy Keller)
We discussed Chapter 5 in Fresh Wind Fresh Fire and prayer-walked at Anderson Park on Monday. I spent most of my time playing basketball with 4 young guys. After the first game I told them why I was at the park - because God loves them and is pursuing them. We joined hands on the court and prayed together. It was the sweetest thing. We continued to play and a few other team members joined in on the game. It was so much fun! One of the young guys, James, was interested in coming to church. Look for him on Sunday!!! Several other team members had cool stories from that night, which they shared at Dairy Queen. Next Monday will be our last Monday before we are in New York City! EEK!!!

Many people on our team are nervous and anxious for the trip. It's hard to talk to complete strangers, and it's even harder to talk to someone about Christianity when they disagree with your beliefs. It's scary and often very awkward. They usually reject you, which isn't much fun at all! You may be wondering why we do these prayer walks or why we share the gospel? Why is it so important?

Well.... I've watched this youtube video on repeat, over and over and over.... It is a perfect example of why we should proselytize and value evangelism, even street evangelism! Please watch!!

The reason why we step out of our comfort zones and share the story of God is because of love. It's because we care about people! Even strangers! How can you let someone get hit by a truck? How much do you have to hate someone to watch it happen!?!? Let's tackle them! :-)

Obviously we don't want to literally tackle people with our faith... which is why the story training on Sunday was so wonderful. The story of God is beautiful, and our stories will only be beautiful when they intersect with The Story. The story is all about how God loves His children, and comes to rescue them. Our trip to New York trip is just another chapter, and what a beautiful one it will be!

Chapter 5 Quotes:
In the first two chapers of Acts, the disciples were doing nothing but waiting on God. As they were just sitting there... worshipping, communing with God, letting God shape them and cleanse their spirits and do those heart operations hat only the Holy Spirit can do... the church was born. The Holy Spirit was poured out.

The Apostles has this instinct: When in trouble, pray. When intimidated, pray. When challenged, pray. When persecuted, pray.

God does his most stunning work where things seem hopeless. Wherever there is pain, suffering, and desperation, Jesus is. And that's where His people belong--among those who are vulnerable, who think nobody cares. What better place for the brilliance of Christ to shine?

Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened to you. (Matthew 7:7) You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. (Jeremiah 29:13)
You do not have, because you do not ask God. (James 4:2)

The sad truth is more people are turning to crack than to Christ. More people are dipping into drugs than are getting baptized in water. Only turning God's house into a house of fervent prayer will reverse the power of evil so evident in the world today.

Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Hebrews 4:16

Strong desires make strong prayers.... There can be no true praying without desire.

God says to us, "Pray, because I have all kinds of things for you; and when you ask, you will receive. I have all this grace, and you live with scarcity. Come unto me, all you who labor. Why are you so rushed? Where are you running now? Everything you need, I have.

No one is beyond His grace. No situation, anywhere on earth, is too hard for God.

God is so huge! He is able! We have all power and authority through Jesus and the Holy Spirit and I'm believing God to do mighty things, and I know he will do immeasurably more than all I can imagine! The best is yet to come!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences in street witnessing. These are exciting times for sure. All Glory be to God!
    I came across your blog when I was reading Revive Our Hearts with Nancy today. I've been a listener for several years now. This is the first time I have been brave enough to make a comment on a blog like this. My husband has been going door to door and street witnessing for over 30 years now. He's written out his own gospel tract. I've been going out with him for over 11 years now and I am still not comfortable but like you said, we need to step out of our comfort zone and share the Gospel/Good News. If the JW's can witness for a lie, I can do it for the truth was my thought when I started. Again, thank you so much. I was encouraged by your post. The Lord Jesus bless you and the ministry! MaryBeth

    ReplyDelete